“The production of customised products became possible with developments in technology. The brand can simply enter data in their computer system and make a special product for a customer without spending too much money.” ~ Shim, former head of Seoul Design Foundation.
Design underpins everything we use. Our lives have changed and societies developed over millennia because of design – essentially ideas formed and brought into being through other people’s vision. We rarely think about it, but design is integral to our social and personal perceptions. The way we experience our surroundings, and the way this makes us feel, has a significant impact on our daily lives.
The world through design
We perceive the world through our senses, which in turn triggers emotions. From this, we build a library of experiences that assist us to navigate through life and determine choices.
- Design is born out of our ability to see things from a different perspective. Design should always be original and eloquent within its time, influencing lifestyle and creativity.
- Design is either solution-driven to solve problems or artistically driven to express our creativity.
- Solution-driven design is creative problem-solving. The designer will spot an opportunity for improvement, constantly studying people and environments, and how the two interact.
- Design is everywhere – from a car to a bridge to the phone in your hand. It is colour and shape and functionality, persuasive and empowering.
- Design helps us engage, it keeps us connected to the world, it is the foundational communication that helps us navigate our way through physical and emotional perspectives and today’s digital spaces.
- For decades marketers have been tuning into methods through design to manipulate our perceptions of products, services, and entertainment – even culture, to gain maximum customer participation.
In short, design is purposefully geared to enhance our world and engage emotions. In this way, design ties experiences together and motivates behaviour, helping us to live more efficiently and comfortably.
How design has changed our lives
“Design is one of the most powerful forces in our lives, whether or not we are aware of it, and can also be inspiring, empowering and enlightening.” ~ Alice Rawsthorn, design critic for the International New York Times and author of ‘Hello World: Where Design Meets Life.’
Being a designer means you will actually influence the way people move through their lives.
With the continuing rise of technology and data usage, there will be increasingly positive effects on society. The systems we design today will drive change in the way we live in the future, increasing beneficial effects in development and lifestyle.
From a running shoe to a post-it note, from an iPhone to an ergonomically designed office chair, our lives are touched and changed by design every day. These products demonstrate ingenuity, as well as an eye for beauty and function. Some are the first of their kind, while others have built upon existing concepts and improved them, making them more accessible to the general population.
Some designs are instantly ingrained in our lives, while others may be slow-brew, often dating back to the design and engineering surge of the 19th century. But it doesn’t matter how long a design has been around, what is clear is that at any given moment, design and technology are making our lives easier and more convenient.
Get in Outsource Engineers to handle your project
Imagine you could take your pick from a dream stable of just about every kind of engineering resource available at a moment’s notice. OutEng offers just that. Comprising a network of trusted, experienced and highly skilled engineers, project managers and technical people, including ECSA registered engineers in almost every discipline, all our engineers are freelancers or contractors who are contracted in per job as their skill is required. Each operates as an independent Business Unit, therefore covering own overheads (working from home or over weekends or remotely).
OutEng is setting new trends and standards in an agile, trust-based business style that is taking the engineering environment by storm. Across a multitude of cost-effective engineering and project services, you can expect:
- solid expertise and experience
- a unique combination of design, project management and engineering capability
- well-informed professionals who are up to date with the latest research.
To find out more, visit: www.outeng.co.za